This article describes the procedures and requirements of .dk domain names.
Click on the subject below to open the dropdown for more information.
Explanation of the registration process is also available in a form of a video.
- English version of the video
- Dutch version of the video
Successful domain registration requires:
- Valid tax number (for persons) & VAT number (for companies) must be stated in the owner & admin handles
- Activating domain within 4 days after successful registration
- Registry emails username and PIN to domain owner's email
- Domain owner logs in to www.dk-hostmaster.dk using username and PIN
- Domain owner finds domain in the list, clicks the link labelled aktiver domænenavnet and confirms activation on the following pages
- Domain nameservers must be registered in DK registry - Click here to register and activate the nameservers - process also described in the tutorial video
- Technical handle must be appointed as nameserver manager - registry sends confirmation link to the email stated in tech handle
- Successful ID validation by the registry.
- Failure to activate domains within 4 days after registration results in domain deletion. Openprovider doesn't refund registration fees for such domains
- Documents required for ID validation needs to be in English or Danish. If the documentation cannot be provided in English or Danish, the documents can be translated into one of the required languages by a professional notary, and both the translation and the original documents will have to be submitted. For companies, the company's name and address needs to be on the document provided.
- In case the registrant validation reformed by the registry fails, the domain will be deactivated and deleted after 1 month. The registry does not provide a refund for those cases, as ID-control is a part of their Terms and Conditions for a .dk domain name. (Section 1.6)
- If invalid email supplied in owner handle during the registration, domain can't be activated. New registration request is possible only after activation period expires.
- You can check the current status of the domain or the nameservers here:
- Openprovider does not support domain registrations from a "waiting list" (Registration with a "waiting list code").
A transfer can be started in the Openprovider control panel or by API.
There is no transfer code required and the transfer will finish within seconds.
By submitting the transfer request in Openprovider, the "payer" of the domain (as mentioned in the .DK hostmaster selfservice system) will automatically be updated to Openprovider.
Selecting Openprovider as payer manually in the .DK hostmaster selfservice system will not trigger any transfer. It can only be initiated from the Openprovider RCP or API.
Be aware, the registrant and other contacts will NOT be updated during of after the transfer.
Also the nameservers will NOT be updated. The information which you enter in the control panel is for administrative purposes. All updates to the domain details needs to be initiated at the self-service panel of the registry. See section "update".
You can check the current status of the domain or the nameservers here:
Error "code":399,"No privilege" means that due to missed payment(s) in the past (by the current / previous provider), the registry is rejecting the transfer.
Resolution : In order to transfer the domain, the current registrant of the domain must log on to their self-service panel at DK Hostmaster and first pay the invoice.
After the invoice is paid, the domain can be transferred.
Error "Specifying contacts for registrar managed domains is not allowed" means that the domain is currently managed in a different registrar model and can not be transferred. To resolve this, please click on "Cancel Registrar" in the DK selfservice panel before requesting the transfer in Openprovider.
Additional notes on a .dk transfer
As registrants have the option to log in to the DK Self-service portal, the registrant also has the option to remove Openprovider as registrar (known as "payer" in the Registry portal) associated with the domain. In that case, the new assigned payer (in most cases the registrant himself) will be responsible for the next renewal invoice for the domain.
As Openprovider will not get real time notifications from the DK Registry, these updates are not processed real time in the system. The scenario may occur that the registrant removed Openprovider as "payer", but the domain still shows as Active in the Openprovider control panel.
How to resolve this?
Just remove the domain in your control panel and start a new transfer. The payer role of the domain will get automatically updated back to Openprovider.
If a transfer is completed after the domain expired at the previous registrar, we will enable auto-renewal for this domain so that it does not expire. This does not depend on your account settings for auto-renewal. You can change this from the domain details.
|Authorization code required||no|
|Method of confirmation|
|Registration period after transfer||unchanged|
|Average transfer time||realtime|
|Advanced and simple transfers available||Contact our Sales department to check if easy transfer of 100 or more .dk domains is available.|
The new registrar can request the incoming transfer (without a transfercode) and will be assigned the new billing contact "payer role" of the domain.
As Openprovider will not get a realtime notifications from the DK registry, these updates are not processed real-time in the system.
As Openprovider is not associated with the admin nor registrant contact of .dk domains, Openprovider does not need to update handles in order to transfer-out a domain.
Owner change (trade)
- Trade must be requested through DK Hostmaster selfservice panel
- A trade fee of 50.00 DKK must be paid directly via DK Hostmaster self-service panel, as soon as receiving owner accepts the trade
- Detailed trade instructions can be found here
Note: The DK registry is going through some platform changes.
Openprovider can not update Nameservers of .dk domain (not via the authorisation code provided by DK hostmaster nor via our registrar platform)
The options to change the nameservers of your domain are:
Please contact your new nameserver administrator to start the pull request of the Nameserver update via the authorisation code.
The registrant can change the nameservers via the selfservice.
The button on the menu is not visible, but can be accessed via this direct link (once logged in)
Replace DOMAIN.DK with the domain you would like to update.
Note that a new zone needs to be configured on the new nameserver.
- Domain owner details change - via trade procedure. Owner name, company name or VAT update considered a trade.
- All other updates - must be initiated by domain owner or admin via DK Hostmaster selfservice panel
- Nameserver updates - require pre-configured DNS zone, containing valid NS records
- Delete - requested via DK Hostmaster selfservice panel
- Detailed delete instructions can be found here
NB: Deleting domain via RCP or API, or letting it expire will return domain name to the registry. Domain owner will continue receiving invoices for domain renewals directly from DK Hostmaster, until domain is deleted via selfservice panel
Restore / reactivate
- Restore - using common domain transfer operation, if domain wasn't deleted explicitly. If domain was deleted - restoration isn't possible
|Registration agreement||The registry requires that a registration agreement is in place between the provider and the domain holder. The text of this registration agreement and any required supplements is the following:
Due to the regular changes in registry rules and configuration or missing information from registry side, and despite our effort to keep our knowledge base up-to-date, information in the knowledge base may be outdated or incorrect. If you encounter some issue, please report it through the "HotJar" feedback collector on the bottom right, or (if it is blocked by your browser) by clicking the "Submit a request" link below. No rights can be derived from the information in this knowledge base. If there is discrepancy between the knowledge base and the process in Openprovider, the process in Openprovider is leading.