This article describes the procedures and requirements of .de domain names.
Click on the subject below to open the dropdown for more information.
- the domain's contact handles (owner *1, administrative, etc.)
- two or more nameservers or a nameserver group
- the zone needs to be already configured before you register the domain *2
*1- While at the moment of registration the holder is not required to be domiciled in Germany, the domain holder must name a person in Germany as responsible for receiving the service of official or court documents in case a legal case is issued to DENIC about a domain with a holder who is not domiciled in Germany. If you do not have a German address, you may use our trustee service. The trustee service can be selected during the ordering process by checking the box for using our local address.
*2 - Nameservers must be configured according to registry requirements and return an authoritative answer before the domain is requested in order to get the domain resolving. If the zone was not correctly created before the registration, make sure the zone is correct, wait 15 minutes and sync the domain via your control panel.
When a domain is registered or transferred the registry checks if the nameservers that you want to use for the domain are already configured. If they are not well configured the registry will not allow you to use of them for this domain.
** IMPORTANT : This means that the zone for the domain must be configured before you register or transfer the domain. Make sure that the zone contains at least 1 A-record and that you use 2 nameservers or more, this is a requirement of the registry.
If you notice after the registration that the domain does not resolve, you can preform a DNS-check here: https://www.denic.de/en/service/tools/nast/
If this DNS check gives a red message, please check the configurations of your zone and try it again. (Error descriptions can be found here)
If this DNS check gives a green message, your zone is now correctly configured and you can manually update the domain again.
How to update your domain? This is described here.
This transfer is real time and requires the following information:
- an authorisation code that you need to request at your current provider. The code is valid for a period of 24 hours to 30 days, depending on the current registrar's settings.
- the domain's contact handles
- two or more nameservers or a nameserver group
- the zone needs to be already configured and resolving before you transfer the domain
In case the nameserver is not updated after the transfer, the .de registry did not accept the new zone (yet). For explanation how to solve this, see section "Registration" above.
Several reasons why a zone is not accepted: Nameserver update failure descriptions
Additional notes on a .de transfer
- If current registrar refuses to supply authcode - request assistance from Openprovider support. Authcode is sent by the registry via postal mail. Additional costs apply
- Domain owner is not notified of successful domain transfer
- Domains currently in hard quarantine can be transferred - authInfo2 required
- From the 25th of May, 2018, a local presence is no longer required for .de domains. In case the current registrar refuses to provide the authorization code because the domain is using their local presence, ask them to update the domain information and remove their local presence.
- Error: "AuthInfo does not match" - This is shown in case transfercode is not correct. A new code should resolve the problem.
- NB: error message after successful transfer indicates that nameservers are not updated. Nameserver update failure descriptions
|Authorization code required||yes|
|Method of confirmation||authcode|
|Registration period after transfer||restarts|
|Average transfer time||Realtime|
|Advanced and simple transfers available||Contact our Sales department to check if easy transfer of 100 or more .de domains is available.|
- Domicile must be disabled prior to authcode request
- Authorization code validity - 14 days
In case the domicile (local presence) is not disabled, the control panel will provide you with an internal transfercode, which can not be used for external transfers.
The domicile (local presence) can be deactivated on the detail page of the domain name. Click "edit" on the details page to view the setting and have the option to deactivate.
Owner change (trade)
- Trade - via RCP or API, by updating the owner handle
- Confirmation - via email to losing and gaining domain owners
NB: if errors encountered during update, refer to the article
- Delete - via RCP or API.
- Delete immediately - puts domain hard quarantine for 28 days. If not restored within this period, domain is deleted
- Give the domain back to the registry - domain is deleted in Openprovider, but stays active in the registry. DENIC becomes domain owner's supplier, sends login details to DENIC's TRANSIT system to owner via postal mail. From this point on, domain deletion possible only by written request of domain owner
Restore / reactivate
- Restore - via RCP or API within 29 days after delete
- If domain is in TRANSIT - restore possible by requesting a transfer. Authcode must be requested by domain owner from registry directly via TRANSIT
NB: if domain owner lost login details to TRANSIT, password reset can be requested via application form
|Registration agreement||The registry requires that a registration agreement is in place between the provider and the domain holder. The text of this registration agreement and any required supplements is the following:
Due to the regular changes in registry rules and configuration or missing information from registry side, and despite our effort to keep our knowledge base up-to-date, information in the knowledge base may be outdated or incorrect. If you encounter some issue, please report it through the "HotJar" feedback collector on the bottom right, or (if it is blocked by your browser) by clicking the "Submit a request" link below. No rights can be derived from the information in this knowledge base. If there is discrepancy between the knowledge base and the process in Openprovider, the process in Openprovider is leading.