This article describes the procedures and requirements of .gr domain names.
Click on the subject below to open the dropdown for more information.
- two or more nameservers or a nameserver group
- if domain owner is company - entity type must be stated in the handle's company name (i.e.: 'BV', 'Ltd.', 'GmbH', etc.)
- within 5 hours after registration request domain is activated and can be used, but will stay in 'suspended' status (visible in WHOIS) for 6 days, while registry performs additional registration checks
- 4 to 8 weeks after registration registry performs additional checks. If something contradicting registry's rules is found, domain registration is cancelled
Additional notes on a .gr transfer
- The owner contact must match the current owner in the whois, otherwise an error will be returned.
[Data management policy violation / The name of the new domain registrant is different to the current registrant name.]
If the owner has to change during a transfer, first perform the transfer-in (with the matching current owner), then initiate a trade.
The whois does not show the registrant data anymore, so ask the current hosting provider to supply you with the correct details.
|Authorization code required||yes|
|Method of confirmation||authcode|
|Registration period after transfer||unchanged|
|Average transfer time||Max 1 day|
|Advanced and simple transfers available||Contact our Sales department to check if easy transfer of 100 or more .gr domains is available.|
Owner change (trade)
- Trade - via RCP or API
- Trade application examined 4 to 8 weeks by the registry. Trade is accepted or rejected as a result
- Domain updates - via RCP or API. Processed real-time
- Delete - via RCP or API. Processed realtime
Restore / reactivate
- Restore - not supported for this TLD
|Registration agreement||The registry requires that a registration agreement is in place between the provider and the domain holder. The text of this registration agreement and any required supplements is the following:
Due to the regular changes in registry rules and configuration or missing information from registry side, and despite our effort to keep our knowledge base up-to-date, information in the knowledge base may be outdated or incorrect. If you encounter some issue, please report it through the "HotJar" feedback collector on the bottom right, or (if it is blocked by your browser) by clicking the "Submit a request" link below. If there is discrepancy between the knowledge base and the process in Openprovider, the process in Openprovider is leading.