The Openprovider Newsletter – What’s hot in February?
It’s newsletter time and this month we’re doing things a bit differently than usual.
We’ve created a short, anonymous survey (should take no more than 2 minutes) to find out what content you like the most. We really would love to hear from you as your feedback will ensure that our newsletter is perfectly tailored to your needs and interests.
Thank you in advance and enjoy this month’s news.
Service Notification – Address information removed from certificates
As of March 1, 2021 Sectigo will remove street address and zip/postal code information from all certificates.
There is no technical or compliance need for this information to be included in certificates, and apart from the content of these fields, your certificates will not change in any way.
Your old certificates with this information will continue working as usual and there will be no need to replace them.
DNS PT new rules – What’s changing?
On the 2nd of February 2021, the Portuguese registry DNS PT’s Registration Rules are changing! How does this affect you? Let’s take a look:
- Short .pt domain names, consisting of just two characters, will be available to members for only €8,75. When they were first released at the end of 2014, they were sold at a premium price of €63,00. Transfers are free of charge. This price drop applies to .pt and .com.pt domains.
- .org.pt and .edu.pt will be discontinued. Existing domains registered with these second level extensions can still be renewed and transferred; however, new registrations will no longer be accepted.
- Trades will be simplified before the end of the year.
- The list of inadmissible domain names was reviewed; less domain names will be rejected in the compliance evaluation procedure.
You can find the new terms on the registry’s website.
Google Registry lowers restore prices
Google Registry is cutting the restore price of their extensions with nearly 50% on the 19th of February 2021. The new restore price for .app, .dev, .how, .new, .page and .soy will be $55, and that of .みんな (.xn--q9jyb4c) will be JPY 5.500.
The restore fee is applicable if you want to restore a domain name after an explicit delete, or if you want to restore an expired domain name after the soft quarantine is no longer applicable. No additional fees are charged for domains restored during the soft quarantine.
New gTLD updates
- .forum has extended its Sunrise phase until the 28th of February 2021.
- .basketball has postponed its General Availability until further notice; probably until at least April 2021.
- .homes, .autos, .boats, .motorcycles and .yachts will migrate from the Afilias platform to the CentralNic platform on the 16th of March 2021. Resellers will not be affected, aside from the fact that the authorization codes will be reset.
Early Access Programs:
- 10th February: .beauty, .makeup, .skin, .hair and .quest
- 2nd March: .forum, .beauty, .makeup, .skin, .hair and .quest
Upcoming price changes:
- 1st February: .me
- 1st March: .berlin
- 1st April: .co.za, .net.za, .org.za, .web.za
- 1st April: .cloud
- 1st July: .club