What data should I provide to Openprovider to enable DNSSEC management if the zone is hosted on a custom nameserver?
The DNSSEC feature for domains pointed to custom nameservers allows to add and manage your DS records.
To add a record, one needs to enable DNSSEC first.
Log into your RCP account, select Domain overview on the left and click on the Edit domain data button for the specified domain.
Once you click Use DNSSEC button, the menu to manage your DNSKEY records will appear. To add a new record, fill in the corresponding fields with necessary information:
In RCP each DNSKEY record consists of three fields: Key type, Algorithm and Public key.
There are two types of keys that are used by DNSSEC:
- The zone signing key (ZSK) - is used to sign and validate the individual record sets within the zone.
- The key signing key (KSK) - is used to sign the DNSKEY records in the zone.
Both of these keys are stored as "DNSKEY" records in the zone file. These values are received from the DNS/hosting provider that hosts your domain zone. If you are not sure where to get the records, please contact your hosting/DNS provider.
Each record consists of three fields: Key type, Algorithm and Public Key.
A DNSKEY record then gets passed to the registry in the following format:
where the <secDNS:keyData> element contains the following child elements:
- Key type - a <secDNS:flags> element that contains a flags field value as described in Section 2.1.1 of RFC 4034.
- Protocol - a <secDNS:protocol> element that contains a protocol field value as described in Section 2.1.2 of RFC 4034. Submitted automatically.
- Algorithm - a <secDNS:alg> element that contains an algorithm number field value as described in Section 2.1.3 of RFC 4034. Must be set according to the used algorithm.
- Public key - a <secDNS:pubKey> element that contains an encoded public key field value as described in Section 2.1.4 of RFC 4034.
The Public key element is represented as a base64Binary with a minimum length of 1.
Once the needed records are added, click on Save changes at the bottom of the page.