We have gone live with our new SSL Panel.
The main goal of the new platform is to decrease the time and number of steps needed to get a certificate issued.
Our new platform facilitates this by offering immediate feedback about your order details and validity, so you can catch potential problems before placing orders, and avoid delays and confusion with the Certificate Authorities (Comodo/Symantec).
Get your certificates faster and easier by pre-validating with our new platform.
New ordering wizard
We have changed the order of steps in the SSL ordering process to make it more clear and concise; for example, inserting the CSR and choosing contact details are now on a single page. One of the great new features of the wizard is that it allows you to save an order to complete later. Perhaps you are not sure about the server software, contact, DCV address, or another value. With the new wizard, you can now save your order, and return to it later on the certificate overview page when you’re ready to complete it.
The new wizard will take you through the following steps:
- Choose the certificate you want and for how many years. For a multi-domain certificate, you also choose how many domains you want to secure.
- Once you have selected the type, period and number of hosts in your certificate it will be reserved as a transaction and an order will be inserted in our SSL system.
- When the order is placed in the SSL system you have 30 days to complete the technical data of the order. Until then the order is considered 'Paid', but not yet requested.
- Once you are satisfied with the technical details, click 'Request' to complete your order and start the validation process of the certificate.
You will also notice that the page you are now on looks different than the current control panel. This is a peek into the future, where each of our products will have their own separate system.
Once you are satisfied with the technical details you can click 'Request' to complete your order and start the validation process of the certificate.
New order details: Pre-validation
Problems when requesting certificates result when information in an order differs from the publicly available information CAs use to validate organizations. We've built in functionality to pre-validate the information in your order before it goes to the CAs.
Once an order is requested it will start the validation steps, where our system will check all the information you have submitted to make sure it will be accepted by the Certificate Authority.
Currently the following checks are done for Organisation Validation (OV) orders that contain a Dutch company and are for any new gTLD or .nl;
- CSR - We check if the CSR contains all mandatory values.
- Whois - We check if the domain name is registered with the same company name that you have submitted in your order.
- Phone number - We check in the yellow pages (telefoonboek.nl) if your company has a listed number and if it matches the one you submitted in your order.
- Business registration - We check in kvk.nl if your company is active and exists. If we found no phone number in the yellow pages, we will check if it is listed in the KVK.
Once these checks are done, we have a good idea of whether your order is valid, and our system will make suggestions if corrections are needed.
For example, if the company name you listed in your order doesn't match the company name to which the domain is registered, the wizard will indicate a correction is needed.
If we can not find your company in the business registers we will ask you to review the company name in the order. Perhaps you used an incomplete name or a tradename that is not registered to the business register. Submitting a business registration number in the order will help our system if there are many companies with a similar name.
These two situations commonly occur when the CA (Comodo/Symantec) are handling your order. We submit your order, and after one or two days, the CA come back to us needing clarification about your details. These delays cause certificates to take longer to deliver than necessary. By checking the order as soon as you place it, we will know immediately where the questions will come from and ask you to clarify it via our panel, saving you precious time in getting your certificates delivered!
Status of the order
Once an order is received by the CA (Comodo/Symantec) they will go through their process to complete your certificate. For each certificate type there are a set of conditions that must be met before a certificate can be issued.
Some of these conditions are:
- DCV (Domain Control Validation) - You need to prove that you have control over the domain name listed in your order, more details can be found in this article.
- Callback validation - For OV orders the CA will call the company to confirm that they requested a certificate.
- EV Forms signed - For EV (Extended Validation) orders some paperwork is required. The documents are either received and confirmed or they are not yet received.
Our system will show you what the status is of each of the validation steps and suggest the course of action you should take to complete the given step.
When checking the status of an order you will immediately know what steps you need to take to complete each order. By having an insight into this process, you can take action directly where it is necessary and not waste time searching for emails or calling the support department just to find out your order status.
We are convinced that these changes will improve the speed and decrease the steps required to get your certificates issued.
Feedback is always welcome, make sure to send it to email@example.com.