What steps are required to complete Organization Validation to issue a Comodo (Sectigo) certificate?
Organization Validation SSL certificate from Comodo (Sectigo) needs a few steps to complete validation.
Domain Control Validation
CA will send an e-mail to one of the addresses of the domain to complete the domain validation.
This e-mail can be sent to one of the addresses showed in the whois of the domain or to a standard address.
There are 5 standard addresses (admin / administrator / postmaster / hostmaster / firstname.lastname@example.org).
Here you can see how this e-mail looks like:
The customer needs to copy the code given in the e-mail and then he needs to click on 'here' to paste the code in the following screen. Once this has been done the customer will receive an e-mail saying that the Domain Control Validation has been completed.
Once the DCV has been completed CA will proceed with the validation of the company. They need to validate the telephone number of the company, so they will check different online business directories like www.dnb.com, www.192.com or some national ones like for example www.detelefoongids.nl in case of The Netherlands or www.pagesjaunes.fr in case of France.
Note: If the company does not appear in a business directory we can use some registration documents to validate the telephone number, but it is not possible to use the website or something else to validate data.
Once the company has been validated CA will send a callback email. This callback email will contain the instructions to receive an automated call, the customer needs to follow the steps from the email and CA will call him.
This is how the callback e-mail looks like:
The customer has to click on 'here' to proceed with the callback, then in the next screen he will see the already validated telephone number:
As you can see here the customer has different options:
- Give his / her own extension
- Option call me now: an automated system will call the customer to give him a validation code
- Option call me later on: customer can schedule the call
- Option request manual callback: In case the customer has a menu it is better to request a manual callback so that an agent from Comodo will call to validate the order.
- Option this phone number is incorrect; provide correct phone number: To use another telephone number we need to validate it with a link from a business directory or a legal document, it is not that easy to change the number for the validation.
The customer needs to click on call me now (even if he has already talked with CA via manual callback) to introduce the validation code. Once button 'call me now' clicked then new field will appear to introduce the validation code:
Once the code has been introduced the customer will receive a message saying that he has completed the callback and the certificate will be delivered.